Saturday, December 27, 2014

Meguri-Ai: The Washington Bred RWB Porsche

While I was at Formula Drift Seattle I had my first real life encounter with a Genuine Rough-Welt Porsche. Meguri-Ai is one of the few Porsche 911s that has been given the Rough-Welt Begriff treatment. Porsche purists hate them and just about everyone else loves them, but no matter who you are they grab your attention, and I have a hunch that was part of the goal when they were modified.
 The thing that struck me most about this Porsche and many of its siblings was the massive #AIRSLICER on the decklid, not only do they add so much to the statement the car makes but also seem to be functional...
 An observant eye can catch the air scoops that the spoiler also performs as forcing more Air into the engine bay and therefore allowing for more Pumping of Air! These scoops speak to the presence that Nakai san (the kat behind these monster cars) wants his cars to have, not only to have them catch your attention but also perform well to match the daunting looks.
 This better shows the massive down force producing wing that slices through the air..the same medium the Pump breathes. This also shows the gorgeously incorporated wide body treatment given to the once stock 993.  
 Meguri-Ai was sitting pretty on a set of 18 inch iForged Fusion, Performance Alloy wheels. Hugged by a set of Pirelli Pzeros with a stenciled idlers on the sidewall. Before I knew much about these cars I didn't really like them, but knowing now that they are raced at events like idlers, thus makng the form and function of them come out, I have to say my feelings have changed.
The first time I saw one of these RWB Porsches online I wasn't sure if i liked them or not, they seemed to loud for what I was into. But After researching them and leaning that Nakai san does indeed race them at the Idlers 12hr and other Competitions in japan I have to say I have grown to like them.

When I went to Fourmula Drift Seattle I knew I would enjoy everything about it, but I had no idea that I would see an RWB Porsche. Meguri-Ai.. the name meaning "chance encounter" fit so well with how I came across the fine Air Pump it had to be of some supernatural occurrence.

Joshua Sewell

Instagram: josh_sewell_photo

No comments: