Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Classic Jap: AE86 Story




During my last semester of high school I took a photography class. Apart from this class I have had no professional photography training, with exception to the occasional mentoring from my dad and what skills he has... maybe this is apparent in the photos on this blog, maybe not, but that's subjective. Anyways, one day later in the semester I was on a shoot looking for subjects for an assignment called "Wheels are our Freedom" something to do with capturing the freedom kids feel when they get the keys to their first Pump. As expected I started searching for these Pumps of Air around the school and my neighborhood. To my surprise I found this classic Japanese Domestic Motors (JDM) fella sitting innocently only a few blocks from the high school.

 As would be expected, I started shooting the car despite the fact that the photos lacked the teens and their freedom theme, mainly because of the classic nature of the cars and the rare chance of shooting one of these again any time soon.
 After taking some shots I heard a heavily accented yell from a doorway behind me sounding something of Latin or Italian origin, the middle aged woman inquired as to my photographing of the old 86, and explained how it was her son's, and how he was constantly having people leaving notes on it and that he recently recovered it form a theft. I stuttered to come up with a reason that sounded credible, knowing that describing the photography assignment would be a dead end. I managed to get out the words photography class and high school.
 She paused, tilted her head to the left, and questioned as to who the teacher was. I told her and she paused again, then repeated the name to me in a questioning tone... I responded in the affirmative. She stepped back and rethought the situation. She said she had a daughter who took a class from him a few years ago. She then inquired as to why I was shooting the car again. I briefly told her the jest of the assignment despite my earlier thoughts of it being hopeless, and she agreed to let me keep shooting the 86.
 I took a couple deep breaths, gave a friendly chuckle, thanked her, and apologized for the scare. After this I commenced shooting the Pump and fully dove into capturing the ethos of this classic chassis.
 The highlight of this car by far was the wheels. The Watanabe style Konigs fit so perfectly with the rest of the car and threw nicely back to the days of InitialD and tofu delivery with the panda paint scheme. I took a peak into the window of the car and saw over 200,000 miles on the clock. If it wasn't obvious from the outside, those number go to show that this car has had a lot of seat time, and that's the way it should be with a car that is arguably one of the first real drivers cars.
After all the hype that the lady gave me I was still feeling some pressure because I knew she'd be keeping a close eye on me through the kitchen window or front door key hole. After a few more shots I left and continued the hunt for the assigned assignment that was assigned to me.

    Looking back on it now I wouldn't have done it any other way, The interaction made a story to remember, and I got to shoot one of my favorite chassis. Have you ever had a close call with a camera? Feel free to load up a comment with a story.

Joshua Sewell

Instagram: josh_sewell_photo

No comments: