Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Dodge Challenger: Discussion?

Here, you are looking at a Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, commonly known as a pretty special pumper of air, due to its racing heritage and all out brutal numbers under the hood. The first time I realized, back in 2008, Dodge was coming back out with another variation of the iconic Challenger I was pretty excited to say the least.
I remember seeing a commercial on television of a challenger, much like the one I found in this Winco parking lot, doing a burnout in slow motion. The silent burnout and the deep male voice telling me what it had to offer was a sensory overload.
That video reel, along with the hunky pumped up lines of the new car, I was sold. Albeit not completely sold, I felt like the challenger was missing something from its roots. I did some thinking on this and I though it might well be all the technology that has been pumped into it... but that has only helped.
Considering the chassis is biased partially off the Dodge Magnum and the Chrysler 300C. I feel like the "muscle" of the car has somewhat dissipated from the first generations of the challenger.
 My question is what really has changed to make one of the most iconic American muscle cars a little less menacing than it was initially. Now the hellcat that is coming out as of 2015. That might just be the fix to bring the challenger back to the top of the food chain, but it is hard to tell. I still feel like their is something missing
Maybe that thing is the fact that the challenger was so revolutionary at the time, such a large chassis with such large numbers under the hood for the time, blew peoples minds. My proposal is that this, is what has changed.

The challenger is old news, even if they add more ponies or make it a prettier color is will still be another challenger.

As sad as this is to face, the American motor company needs a new pumper of air that challenges the mind, not only the limits of a luxury chassis.

Detroit needs to come up with something that will shock and awe people, and although it might not be a Challenger, it will have the same raw appeal that the challenger had back when it was the very thing Detroit needed back then, just like what it needs now.

Joshua Sewell

Instagram: josh_sewell_photo

No comments: